Sunday 27 November 2016

Always Something To Look Forward To

Always Something To Look Forward To

One of the joys of the NatureSpot website is being able to watch the seasons passing. As contributors record the wildlife of Leicestershire and Rutland you can watch the the arrival of spring, follow the development of summer and look forward to autumn. But for many people, winter is a less cheerful time and the temptation is to stay indoors rather than to venture into the countryside. Well not for me. Although the highlight of my year is the explosion of insects in early summer, I also look forward to autumn fungi with great anticipation, and when I was taking this photograph in the beautiful woods at Launde, a Song Thrush was singing at full blast just above me. I suddenly remembered how much I'd missed birdsong during the silent eclipse period of the past few months, but now, birds are intent on their territories with a view to staying fed over winter and one eye on attracting a mate next spring. And of course, the other joy of winter is being able to have a lie in and still get out in time to hear the dawn chorus as it builds over the next few months.


Sony ILCE-6000
Tokina 100mm
1/125 ISO 100
2 image focus stack

The Technical Stuff:
Nikon fit Tokina 100mm lens on the a6000 using a Fotodiox adaptor. Low light so I've tweaked the tone curve to highlight the foliage, but also a largeish aperture (no EXIF data via the Fotodiox adaptor sadly), so this is a hand held two image focus stack to get the depth of field. I'm quite pleased how this turned out.