Monday 1 March 2021

The Wood That Wasn't There

The Wood That Wasn't There

Over the long months of lockdown, I've become increasing attracted to the work of Frozen Mutton Farquharson (Google him if you're not familiar). Having just invested in a new camera system, I'm interested to find out what it can do, and how I can get the Farquharson feel. Being 2021, my new camera system is, of course, a phone. Although I chose not to add virtual sheep to this image, just like Farquharson's landscapes, this view does not really exist. For the first time for years, I set an alarm before dawn and ventured forth in the gloom to capture the vision inside my head. As so often when I plan a landscape outing, dawn didn't happen today, just gloom plus not enough mist to be useful. Thus this image is synthetically constructed, much as Farquharson's were. Computational photography meets Farquharson's landscapes. 

The Technical Stuff
6 portrait orientation images, each composed of 4 median stacks, composited into a panorama. Orton Effect added to counteract the gloom, plus a little more synthetic mist. 

iPhone 11 Pro Max back triple camera f/1.8  4.2 mm 1/59 ISO 500