Wednesday 13 December 2017

Archival Selfie

Archival Selfie


Although in some ways I am attracted to the ephemeral nature of digital entities, over the past few years I've also become convinced of the archival value of photographic prints. But that's where the problem starts. The sheer ease and accordingly the volume with which we make digital images renders the historic approach to printmaking untenable, and then there's the cost. Recently, hell froze over when SWMBO and I agreed that we both liked one of my images enough to want to have a large print made to hang in our home. I've used theprintspace for jobs like this previously, and once again they've done a bang up job of this one. In going to the trouble of getting such a print made, I decided not to stint and went for a 30 inch, 100 year guaranteed archival silver print mounted on 5mm foam board. (Although the 100 year guarantee requires you to keep it in the dark, which I don't plan to.) And damn fine it is too. The problem is that the cost including postage and actually sticking it to the wall has been not far south of a 100 quid, so this isn't something I'm likely to do often. Did I make the right decision?


Sony ILCE-6000
E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
f5.6 24mm 3.2 ISO 400