Tuesday 20 December 2016

*WEEVIL JOKE KLAXON*

Sitona lineatus

As an aspiring Coleopterist there's nothing I like better during the dark days of winter than to gather with my fellow beetle botherers in the local hostelry and swap witticisms over our foaming tankards of mulled Vimto. Classics such as:

"I say, I say, I say, my beetle's got no nose."
"Oh, could be Platyrhinus resinosus then."


I was delighted when the Christmas decorations the Memsaab gathered from the garden and brought into the house turned out to be crawling with weevils. Thoughtfully, she popped a pair into a pot and they were waiting for me on my desk when I got home from work. ("This Christmas, why not give someone you love the gift of weevils?")

After lengthy consideration, I decided to photograph the smaller specimen, on the basis that it is always better to choose the lesser of two weevils.


Sitona lineatus.
Nikon D7200
100mm f/2.8
f16 1/250 ISO 100
3 image focus stack.