Friday 21 October 2016

Mirrorless cameras and the responsible wildlife photographer

Mirrorless cameras and the responsible wildlife photographer


I like to think I'm a responsible wildlife photographer. I do everything I can to avoid disturbing the animals I'm photographing. I don't disturb or even approach bird's nests to get pictures of fluffy chicks, and frankly, I'm horrified at the antics of photographers en masse pursuing red deer stags in deer parks for the sake of a good photo. I was standing on the footpath when the red deer stag started heading directly for me. I knew there was a group of hinds behind me and I was pretty sure he was more interested in them than he was in me, but there comes a moment - when he fills the viewfinder and you have to start zooming out - when strange thoughts enter your head. Such as "If the worst comes to the worst and he does charge me, if I lamp him with the D7200 at least he'll feel it. If I smack him with the Sony, it'll just bounce off like a mosquito." Fortunately, backing away slowly to clear his path to the hinds while avoiding eye contact was the right thing to do.

And the E 55-210mm - is it sharp enough in low light? It'll do. But its weapons value is limited.

Sony ILCE-6000
E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS
f8 210mm 1/350 ISO 400