Wednesday 6 April 2016

Field Wood-rush

Field Wood-rush

There seems to be a growing trend on Instagram for hi-key minimalism, including some rather nice arty "botanical" shots, so I thought I'd have a go. In the end, this macro image won out though, and my hi-key effort turned out to be not that hi-key after all. That's OK, I'll filter the s**t out of it on Instagram. Also known as "Good Friday Grass", Luzula campestris was a week late around these parts this year, needing the first warm weather on Good Friday to get it going. Or maybe, Easter was too early... Anyhow, here comes the botany bit. How do I know this 10cm plant nodding at me from my sodden lawn and giving me another excellent reason not to mow it is a rush? Because:
Sedges have edges and
Rushes are round and
Grasses have nodes
all the way to the ground.

Field Wood-rush - Luzula campestris.
Nikon D7200 EL Nikkor 50mm f2.8 N f5.6 1/80 ISO 800, 5 image focus stack.



Field Wood-rush